Saturday, August 17, 2013

Stencilling with Stain

   So I was trying to decide how to refinish my kitchen table which was getting rather ratty looking from someone doing there craft projects on it but I won't mention who that was. Anyways I came across a technique where you stencil using wood stain.
-Here is a forum with some lovely pieces which explains a little bit how to do things.
-Here is a lovely piece where she stained over paint this was a great blog to read through if your at all interested in refinishing furniture she has a ton of great advice
-The lady I mentioned above also did a stained union jack design with stain here
-This lady has stenciled a lovely world map on some old on I think she decided to use it as a headboard
-There is a video on youtube by minwax here
-And finally instructions from the diy network here
Okay so now for my project...
I decided on a black bear and here it is
Now I am pretty happy with me results it didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped but hey it was a learning experience. Now if anyone is interested I will share what I did, what I learned and what I would do differnt if I try this again which I am hoping I will get a chance to.
   First off what I did...
 I used minwax wood finish in Natural for my base coat 
following the directions on the can I did 2 coats of this
 Next I prepared my stencil by spraying the back with krylon easy tack this is a very important step but it didn't work well with my chosen stain which I will elaborate on in a bit. Anyway I sprayed my stencil and then pressed it onto my table making sure all the edges where pushed down well on the table. 

 the I used Minwax gel stain in walnut for my stencil and applied it with a sea sponge as directed in the Minwax video making sure to dab of excess stain on a rag before applying to my stenciled image.
Here is my gel stain sea sponge and rag ready for use
I applied two coats of the walnut before peeling off my stencil.
 I then applied 2 coats of Polycrylic and am just letting that cure in the garage at the moment.
   Now what did I learn/what would I do different
 1.I think it would have been a really good idea to use a pre-stain wood conditioner before I started I think I may have gotten much better results.
  2. I think I should have used a water based stain as the second coat the stain seemed to leak under the stencil, the repositional adhesive just couldn't seem to hold up to the oil, and I'm wondering if a water based stain as mentioned in the Minwax video may have worked better.
as you can see from this close up it is a little messy around the stencil I noticed the stencil was lifting on the second coat and was able to pull it off and clean up around my bear a little with a rag but it wasn't a perfect fix.

Here is a bit of a closer image than the one above
All in all I'm still quite happy with how this guy turned out and I know what I can do different for next time. I defiantly what to try this again with the changes I mentioned and I will let you know how it goes when I do.
   Anyways that's my table I am currently painting my kitchen/dining room area and am really exited to bring this guy into my nice freshly painted dining room. I am also working on my dining room chairs I am reupholstering them and staining them and will post pictures when they are done. I'll share a little before picture now...
pretty beat up and ugly as is but they're so comfy so hopefully with a little tlc they'll look a little nicer.
 Anyways that's what I have currently been working on. I hope you enjoyed and can possibly learn from my mistakes as this really was a fun project and I hope you get a chance to try it if your in to refinishing furniture.
   Anyway thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment