Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Making a Hanging Moss Basket.

Okay so I have used the hanging baskets with the coconut core liners in the past and didn't have much luck. I found they just drained way to fast, I also tried doing them by just lining them with moss but had the same problem. I finally realized you need a combination of both the moss and the coconut liner.
I shared this picture in this post already.
So I thought I would share what I do if anyone has had the same problem as me.
Okay first off I go into the bush and collect up a bunch of moss I try to go off the path a ways as this does leave a bit of an ugly bare spot. You want to collect fairly large pieces about the size of your hand,or you could get a a big sheet but again I like the chunks as I can collect up little bits from more than one spot and it's not such a big obvious bare spot. Now make sure you're not in a park and that it is okay for you to A.go off the path and B.You are allowed to harvest moss.
Sorry about the blurry picture but once you get home you want to put your moss in you basket just like this
Now stuff in you're coconut liner it won't fit perfect and that's okay just do the best you can you can stuff some more moss in the top to kind of cover the liner a but more if you want.

Now I pour about 2 cups of perlite and 2 cups of peat in the bottom just to help retain a bit more moister then I pour my regular potting mix on top of that. Make sure you buy potting mix that has perlite in it as well these hanging baskets can really dry out so you want all the help you can get.

Now put your plants in and your done.
Well I hope this helps somebody I just love the look of these.
   Thanks for stopping by, Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment