Friday, January 25, 2013

Sprucing Up An Old Mirror

I've had this mirror for a while now the boyfriend and I bought it when we lived in Victoria at The ReStore and it's served us well but the edges are very beat up. I started to do something with it quite a while back but never finished and decided to go in a different direction so anyway here it is.
As you can see it's a little rough around the edges no pun intended

and again
So I added these roses to the corners using stained glass paint with the intention of making some kind of border to connect them up.

and I did these ones on the side
Now I decided that I wanted to do something different and was inspired by this artwork here when I did a search for mod-podged mirror. So I collected up some doilies and bought some white poster board and got to work.
here is how it turned out



Okay now in hindsight I really should have gone about things a bit differently. Instead of poster board I should have spray painted my white border onto the mirror and then mod-podged on my doilies and rhinestones. It was a huge pain to get the poster board glued down it wanted to warp and crinkle. I ended up having to do it twice as on my first attempt I tried to cut my poster board in two pieces which was really awful and when that went horribly wrong I had to tear it all off and scrape all the glue residue off the mirror before I could start fresh. So the second time I cut 6 pieces of poster board two pieces for the top and bottom and 4 pieces for my sides (the poster board wasn't long enough to do one long strip) the second attempt went better but not perfect I did manage to cover my mistakes and seams with the doilies but if I do this again I'll save myself the trouble and use paint. All in all I'm fairly happy with the results it was defiantly an experiment and I learned a lot.
    The boyfriend and I went for a drive at Nahmint Lake and the surrounding area which is one of my all time favorite places to visit it's so pretty. It was very snowy and icy up there.
such a wonderful view



I was so surprised to see these flowers blooming when everything is so covered in frost and ice. I'm not sure what this shrub is I can't seem to find it in my books.




Anyway that's pretty much what I've been doing lately haven't been getting a lot of crafting done as the boyfriend and I are actually trying to purchase a house and are working on getting everything together for that. Wow what a lot of little things to be done.  We're almost there though just waiting for approval for out loan to go through. 
  Hope everyone is well and getting lots of projects done have a wonderful day.











4 comments:

  1. This turned out beautifully. Love the bling!
    I hate the cold but the pics are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much I always appreciate your visits you always leave such lovely comments. I always have mixed feelings about the cold the snow and frost are so pretty but I hate when I get chilled to the bone and it feels like it takes forever to get warmed up when I get home. Luckily we only get snow in small doses where we live.

      Delete
  2. Love how you brought that mirror back! Thank you for sharing, it is definitely an inspiration! Love the nature pics, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete