Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hi there I guess it's been a while. I've been a bit busy with gardening, foraging and a bit of crafting and sewing. So anyway here are some pics.
 Went for a walk with my mum and collected some vanilla leaf to make into tea
Here's the vanilla leaf drying in bundles. It makes a very nice tea.

Here it is all dried
I seen some lovely wild flowers as well
Brooklime

Common Camas

Vetch

Honeysuckle

Large Leaved Avens

Sitka Mountain Ash

Western Coral Root

Yellow Rattle
I seen a raccoon the other day
It's Ranger Rick
I got my garden planted and it's growing pretty well. I decided to try the Square Foot Gardening method this year as the soil in our vegi garden is very heavy clay so here it what I put together...
I got the aluminum trays when my boyfriend was cleaning out the work shed they where going to send them to scrap metal. They where the perfect 2' by 2' by 6" size for square foot gardening so I snatched them up. I laid down garden fabric first, then I put the trays down and filled them with soil and then laid down red mulch. There was already rhubarb in the garden so I left that where it was.

These are raspberry canes we planted last year they're growing quite nicely.
The boyfriend and I went out and picked wild rose petals the other day to dehydrate for tea.
Here is the boyfriend picking away

wild roses

We came home with 2 yogurt containers of petals

I gave them a wash and a spin in the salad spinner

Popped them in the dehydrater

and here is what I got in the end, they make a lovely tea on there own but I'm planning on making a tea with spearmint leaves, lavender blossoms, rose petals, elder flowers and red clover like my favorite tea from silk road tea, which is very pricy and in Victoria so I don't get to go very often.

The garter snakes where hanging out in the grass clippings people had piled on the side of the road trying to get warm.

Seen some yellow monkey flower growing in a ditch.
This guy was dying to be petted so I stopped and said hi.
So there is some of what I've been doing I think I'll end this post and do another one after supper.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your post but the snake freaked me out. Lol, I am terrified of snakes, even in pics the scare me.

    I have never made my own tea before so this intrigues me. I cant wait to hear how it all turned out.

    ReplyDelete