Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Shelf for my Beach stuff.

 The weather is really starting to warm up around here so I decided to paint a shelf to put my sea shells and what not on. I tried to do this a while back but the primer I used didn't adhere properly so I decided to wait until it warmed up to try again. It's a cheap piece with that plastic laminate stuff on it so I did some reading and found that the best primer to use is Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 which comes in a spray can or a brush on but the spray one seemed to be the recommended method. So anyway I sanded the old primer off and sprayed on the bulls eye. I chose a light blue spray paint for the top coat I actually wanted something even lighter but I got the lightest blue I could find and am actually quite happy with it. So anyway here it is.
Sorry I don't have a before picture I did take one but it was a while back now and I can't find it, it was all black before. The back was nailed on so I took it off when I painted the shelf and covered it with contact paper. I seen the technique in a magazine where they used wall paper and I think it looks really nice. 

This picture isn't the greatest the corner is quite dark, I'm actually quite happy it's so bright and cheery now the dark corner really needed to be brightened up. I'm happy to have somewhere to display all my sea shells and other oceany things.
Here is what I used, the bulls eye worked very well I'd say all together it was under $25.00.
I think it goes nicely with my pictures I made back in october from old magazines and thrifted frames.

1 comment:

  1. That is so nice! I love the color and the wallpaper backdrop is perfect with it. love it!

    ReplyDelete