Thursday, February 2, 2012

X-mas cake Recipe

Hello everyone,
    I guess it's been a few days since I posted anything. So I'll start with my grandma's x-mas cake recipe. As a matter of fact the grandma who reads my blog, so thank you grandma. I posted about it when I made it back in October here and was asked by the wonderful Beauty and the Green for the recipe.

      So anyways here it is.
                                               Grandma's Magic Christmas Cake

1.Mix Together -3C flour
             -1 1/2 tsp baking powder
             -3/4 tsp salt
             -1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
             -1/2tsp each- nutmeg
                          -ginger
             -1/4 tsp each-allspice
                          -clove powder
             -1C butter
             -1 1/2C brown sugar
             -6 eggs
             -1/4 C molasses  
             -1/3 C cold strong coffee
Make sure to mix this really well you want all the dry ingredients moistened. Get right down into the bottom. Use the biggest bowl you have as well it gets a bit messy.

2. Add in -3 1/2 C seedless raisins
          -1C currants
          -1C almonds or walnuts (I use walnuts)
          -1C pitted dates
          -1 Tbsp candied ginger (chop it up)
          -1 1/2 cup drained red maraschino cherries or
             mixed red and green candied cherries
                         (I use the candied cherries and it's about a 450g tub and I also chop them up a bit)
          -1 1/2 C chopped mixed peel (about a 225g tub)
                         -1/2c candid pineapple (I omit this as the BF doesn't seem to like it)
      Mix all this up really well get all that fruit mixed in good. Use a sturdy spoon or your hands it a very stiff batter, I actually broke the spoon I was using the first time I made this.

3. Prepare 2 bread pans by lining them with 3 layers of wax paper and butter the last layer very generously. Now scrape your mixture into the pans.

4. Heat oven to 300 degrees and bake the cakes for 2 3/4 to 3 hours. It's ready when a cake tester comes out clean. 

5. To store these guys I wait for them to cool really well then pour some brandy over them, I use St.Remy Authentic French 
Brandy, then I wrap them in brandy soaked cheese cloth then tin foil and store them in and airtight container, a tin or a plastic container will work just fine. 
    Of course the brandy step isn't necessary my grandma doesn't use brandy. 
    I try to make mine some time in October usually near the end of the month so that they can age before Christmas. 
   
 So there it is my grandma's Christmas cake recipe Good Luck and I hope you enjoy. Personally I don't like Christmas cake but I make it for the boyfriend and a friend of ours. They seem to like it quite a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I am so happy to have this recipe, lol, you have just scored me a heap of brownie points with the hubs,. This is his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he enjoys it, it always seems to be a hit with all the x-mas cake lovers in my life.

    ReplyDelete