Saturday, October 1, 2011

Salmon Run

   The other day my boyfriend and I went out to watch the salmon swimming upstream to spawn. If you ever get the chance to see this I recommended it. It's pretty incredible to see all those hundreds of thousands of fish gathered cheek to jowl resting in the quite parts of the river and just catching glimpses of them as they brave the swift moving rapids. Seeing so many makes you almost believe it was once possible to walk across there backs.  Anyway here are the pics I took of them although it's hard to get a good idea of the sheer number from photos.
these guys are waiting to swim up the man made fish latter built to make there journey easier

These guys are unsuccessfully trying to go the hard way
have you ever seen fungus this colour.  I looked it up on my mushroom book and I think it's called green stain or chlorociboria aeruginascens.




one of the many views
Well needless to say we got our exercise climbing up and down banks and crashing around in the bush. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the number of fish resting in the quite parts of the river but I just wasn't high enough. Yet another time I wished I had an underwater camera and hip waders, I had my rain boots on but they only cover my calves and the fish where in the deeper parts of the water. I was very happy that I had mostly prepared dinner the night before all I had to do was cook some chicken breast peel a couple oranges and lay some greens out on a plate.  I totally winged the marinade for the chicken and made the lemon vinaigrette dressing from joy of cooking for the greens but added rosemary, sage and oregano and some orange juice with the lemon juice. It was pretty good I was pretty proud of myself I'm slowly learning to cook. Go me!
Citrus chicken salad

No comments:

Post a Comment